Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Share Post: Facebook Twitter
DIY coin slabbing using CoinWorld Holders
04-07-2012, 11:15 PM
DIY coin slabbing using CoinWorld Holders
Being that I had a couple Eisenhower Dollar coins that I thought about sending in to a TPG for holdering. But then a few days after I had them boxed and ready to go, I was visiting one of my local coin shops and took notice of a few coins that were in CoinWorld slabs. Impressed with how they looked I decided to order a few online to use with some of the Ike Dollars that I had planned on sending in (photo in this thread is of a typical circulated Ike I used for testing).

In total, I spent $19.24 for nine (9) holders and shipping and waited almost a full week before they arrived today. Ordering was extremely easy, located the item you are interested in, add the quantity to the shopping cart and then follow through the checkout to determine shipping and total cost.

When they arrive, they are packaged three (3) per pack. Each holder is packaged back to back and remain open for inserting coins. The holders I had ordered are the same size as the older green label ANACs holders, but instead of having white inserts these holders came with black inserts. Personally I feel that the black inserts tend to show off the "white" coins better than the white inserts as it gives the coins some nice contrast against the dark background that surrounds it. For older coins such as the typical seated liberty quarter, I still feel that the white inserts allow the coin to display nicer than they would if the insert were black.

Inserting the coin into these holders are extremely easy. Simply place the coin on a jewelers pad, then slightly bend the holder insert slightly while placing the insert around the coin. Then (depending on which side of the coin is facing up) grab the correct cover to place over the insert. Carefully pick up the insert and cover while being careful not to drop the coin out of the insert, flip it over and lay the assembly to the side while you print out a label. Otherwise if you do not want to use a label, just simply press the other cover over the insert to finish the process.

For printing labels, I choose to use my laser printer with acid free paper. As for the program to use, you can make a simple label in Microsoft Word or a similar program. But if you wish to create a bar code, I use a program called IDAutomation Barcode Label Design (please do an internet search to learn more about this program).

Onto the photo. Below is the photos of a 1971 D Eisenhower Dollar coin I had laying around. In the reverse photo you can see the barcode I had made for entering into my coin management software. By doing this, I can quickly scan the barcode and it will pull up that coin's information within the program.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2012, 05:37 AM
RE: DIY coin slabbing using CoinWorld Holders
Nice job Chris! I got some of those slabs a while back for some of my coins - they do a nice job of protecting the coins, as well as looking nice.

My Presidential Campaign Medal Collection

Collecting since the 1950s
ANA, Fly-In Club, CAC
Terry
Find all posts by this user
04-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Wow that is a cool method Chris, I especially like the barcode and numbered label!
04-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Just a suggestion.

You can get a label maker for around $20 - $30 at places like Walmart, Staples, office depot. Would look nice if you have labels with black tape and silver lettering. These labels would stick to the insert also so that the label would not move around. You would have to probably pay more for the label makers that made barcodes though Sad
04-09-2012, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2012 09:13 PM by Chrishjr1976.)
Good suggestion Chris, but what about possible PVC or other issues from the adhesive? The nice thing about the label program I use is that it will work with any printer. Dymo label printers work fantastic. I'm just not sure how much I would trust the adhesive that close to the coin though. The insert is notched to hold the label in place, I unfortunately when I assembled the holder above had done it in a rush due to family arriving from Florida. Other than that, even with the label improperly placed currently, I worried about it being loose too, but no matter how hard I bounced the holder on the table in front of me, the label did not budge.
04-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I didn't think of the adhesive. Not sure what issues that could happen. Maybe photo paper with a black background silver letters?
04-09-2012, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2012 10:47 PM by Chrishjr1976.)
That could work, use black paper stock on an inkjet printer. But I think the barcode would still have to be a dark color so a code scanner could read it. But it is definitely worth a try.
04-10-2012, 06:06 AM
(04-09-2012 09:41 PM)Bartlesvilleok Wrote:  I didn't think of the adhesive. Not sure what issues that could happen. Maybe photo paper with a black background silver letters?

I'd be worried about the dyes in black or colored paper having a negative effect on the coins. I worked in the dyed paper area for most of my career, and dyes are really just chemicals, and some are even sulphur based.

My Presidential Campaign Medal Collection

Collecting since the 1950s
ANA, Fly-In Club, CAC
Terry
04-10-2012, 02:41 PM
I had that same thought after I submitted my reply. I think it would be best to stick to the white paper stock (acid free) and black font. But each person has a different preference, therefore, experiment and find what looks and works well for the user Smile
04-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Well I am glad I offered the suggestions .. Now I know what NOT to try.