Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Share Post: Facebook Twitter
NGC vs. PCGS Grading
06-17-2013, 11:53 PM
NGC vs. PCGS Grading
I just wanted to see if anyone has noticed what I have. When surfing coins on eBay that have been graded by the NGC and PCGS I have noticed that the NGC shows a lot more coins as "improperly cleaned" than does the PCGS.

I have read that the PCGS is a more strict when grading but this makes me think just the opposite. It looks to me that the NGC is looking at the coins a lot closer.

I enjoy the NGC coins better because I love their coin holders. Any thoughts from anyone?[/size][/font]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2013, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2013 12:25 AM by Coincrazed.)
RE: NGC vs. PCGS Grading
Ernest- Welcome to Purely Numismatics! Nice you joined up to share your thoughts with us!

I too have noticed that NGC seems to grade stricter than PCGS. For instance, with 1916-D Mercury Dimes, NGC grades far stricter and more accurately than PCGS. PCGS I have heard sometimes "net grades" borderline problem coins to a lower grade but still seals them in a graded, problem free holder.

Just my opinion!

A little kindness goes a long way!
06-18-2013, 04:39 AM
Ernest- Welcome to the forum! I've seen the same thing as Coincrazed did with NGC grading of coins like the 16-D Merc.

My Presidential Campaign Medal Collection

Collecting since the 1950s
ANA, Fly-In Club, CAC
Terry
06-18-2013, 04:47 AM
Well, I for one prefer NGC over PCGS.
Unfortunately the marketplace does not agree with me.
As an ANA member I have submission privileges at NGC, so I get my coins certified by them.

Just my 2¢ Tongue
Member: ANA, RCNA
My Sites: Tom Swift Unofficial Home Page - Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page - Series Book Central - Nancy Drew Unofficial Home Page
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-18-2013, 07:17 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2013 07:59 AM by noow.)
From my experience, I have to lean towards NGC for proper grading and designations.

Enjoy the forum!

Informative articles:
Rhodium
Palladium
Money
Coin shop reviews:
West Seattle Coins
Frederick Coin Exchange
06-18-2013, 07:43 AM
i noticed that as well and find that theres alot of truth in what you have said. both are good companies but i do have a tad bit more on the ngc slabs then the pcgs. i guess discrestion is a good thing. welcome to the forums as well ernest
06-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Welcome to the forum Ernest Knox! I have to say I like PCGS the best but NGC is a close second.
06-18-2013, 03:24 PM
i dont deal in graded coins much, but i love ngc's holders and hate pcgs's
06-18-2013, 04:38 PM
(06-18-2013 03:24 PM)Thecoin Wrote:  i dont deal in graded coins much, but i love ngc's holders and hate pcgs's

yeah, ngc's doe look a bit better. no arguement there.
06-18-2013, 05:20 PM
NGC better looks, PCGS better preservation. Grading is just about the same with a few exceptions. There is no doubt NGC slabs look better but next time you look at a NGC slab look at how many scratches the slab has. I've noticed that PCGS slabs don't scratch easy but on nearly every NGC slab there are a bunch of tiny scratches. PCGS slabs are also a tad bit easier to move in a market while an NGC slab is made to look more presentable. Over time I've come to like PCGS more than NGC but that's just me and I've only submitted coins for grading through PCGS so I am slightly biased.

Check out the Penny Pinchers eBay Store!!
http://stores.ebay.com/pennypinchercoins