Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Share Post: Facebook Twitter
What coins do you consider "sleepers"?
07-29-2012, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2012 09:33 PM by Coincrazed.)
What coins do you consider "sleepers"?
Ok let's talk about "sleepers", coins that are undervalued now but one day may come up strongly in price. So in this thread please share some coins you feel are "sleepers"! Feel free to go into a lot of detail!

If I were asked to name a sleeper, I would name the 1809 Dime.

The 1809 Capped Bust Dime is the lowest mintage Capped Bust Dime with a mintage of 51,065. It is the toughest coin I have ever hunted. in hours surfing eBay and Google, going to several coin shows and talking to hundreds of dealers, I have seen less than 50 of these coins for sale, over 50% of those being problem coins with scratches, bends, planchet flaws, etc. The Red Book price on this coin is very inaccurate, stating that a G-4 is worth $140. The cheapest 1809 CB Dime I have seen for sale was an AG3 for $239. If I had had the cash I would have bought it right there.. Sad Rich Uhrich has PCGS G-4's for around $1K to $1,100. This coin is so scarce that I don't believe it is seen often enough to update the books to current prices. When taking into account a very scanty mintage from the beginning, then take into account how many weren't saved or preserved for over 2 centuries, the ones that didn't survive the effects of circulation, the ones lost, severely damaged or ones finally so worn that were melted down..... What you have isn't only a scarce, but a truly rare coin.

I definitely think the 1809 Capped Bust Dime is a sleeper beginning to wake up.

CC
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2012, 08:42 AM
RE: What coins do you consider "sleepers"?
I don't consider error coins "sleepers". I'd consider something like the 1927-S Standing Liberty Quarter a sleeper - low mintage and still affordable, at least when I picked up my raw one for $20 last year.

[Image: SLQ1927S.jpg]

My Presidential Campaign Medal Collection

Collecting since the 1950s
ANA, Fly-In Club, CAC
Terry
07-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Nice 1927-S OC and a super low mintage for the price... The problem with errors is it is not known how many were made... Kinda like the missing edge lettering dollars a few years ago, the. first on fetched $1K or so, then more and more flooded the market and the price dropped drastically..... Another example of a potential sleeper is the 1926-S Buffalo nickel.

A little kindness goes a long way!
07-30-2012, 10:10 AM
"Cents" V-nickel in MS-65* you will almost never find it though it's not an expensive coin.
07-30-2012, 11:17 AM
The 1875 Trade Dollar is a sleeper. The mintage is not super low but is very hard to find especially in problem free lower grades.
07-30-2012, 01:08 PM
(07-30-2012 08:42 AM)OldCopper Wrote:  I don't consider error coins "sleepers". I'd consider something like the 1927-S Standing Liberty Quarter a sleeper - low mintage and still affordable, at least when I picked up my raw one for $20 last year.

[Image: SLQ1927S.jpg]
ill agree wtih old copper here, the slq have been way undervalued for a long time. i also think that some of the half cents are undervalued as well. jmo
07-30-2012, 01:09 PM
I agree on some of the half cents. There are definitely some sleepers out there in different denominations.

My Presidential Campaign Medal Collection

Collecting since the 1950s
ANA, Fly-In Club, CAC
Terry
07-30-2012, 06:20 PM
I consider Jefferson Nickel's in high grades to be sleepers at this point in time, forget about the steps. From 1938-64 mainly but lets not forget about the 1994 & the 97 SMS nickel's with the matte finish, the 97 matte only 25000 minted....And I feel they are being overlooked. Many others but the Washington silver quarters & Roosevelt silver dimes are some others, you can pick some VERY nice ones up at this point in time, cheap....CHD
07-31-2012, 09:23 AM
nice slq as well.